Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Reform-ation

 Welcome Change. Shouldn't we all?
You, fellow readers, will please need to forgive me for not being completely on top of my bloggin'. I know... I'm very sorry.

However, let's get things started! My church celebrates Reformation Sunday instead of Halloween. We're Presbyterian, so we love to celebrate anything that has to do with the Reformation. And in celebration of this wonderful day that brought about the 95 theses, we had Dr. Harry Reeder, from Briarwood Pres, come down and speak. Oh my goodness. Next to Tim Keller, I have never been so aware of my need for the Gospel after a sermon. He had 5 points that he discussed and my favorite, because it seemed to have more application to my life at the time, was one of the last ones which he threw out a question that stumped me.
"So now that I have received grace, does that mean I can sin how I please because I know I'll have remission for my sin?" 
Ugh... You got me. Bad.
I sat there, I'm sure, with my mouth agape for a solid 45 seconds. Did he say that because he knew what I was struggling with? HOW DOES HE KNOOOW?! I didn't have a huge epiphany or anything, I was gently reminded that my Savior has me where I am for a reason. He puts me through trials because He knows I need them to grow more in Him and see how desperate I am in need of a Savior. What a precious God  I have!! He also threw out a line that it took me a few seconds to get because I know less about cars than I do about engineering, which I know engineering involves numbers... yeah, so not much. He was telling a story about how his dad got him his first car. It was a '65 Ford truck. It was a car he would have done almost anything for. There was just one glitch, it was hot pink. He kept telling his dad there was no way he could go school in that car... like ever. His dad lifted up the hood and Dr. Reeder said "Oh, Daddy. Hot pink it is!" Apparently the engine was souped up and way ahead of it's time (I don't even kind of care about that stuff, but he had a point). He said, "What if someone could lift up your "hood", what would they see?" For me, I'm too embarrassed to say what they would see. They wouldn't see a lover of Christ, but a self seeking girl, wanting to know she had control over her future.

However, before all of this happened, I got a call from my mom who told me that there was a lady that suffered from Alzheimer's and she needed me to sit with her. (side note: I used to work with Alzheimer's patients for a year and a half through my mom who owns a company that works with elderly people) Anyway, I went up to the front of the church, sat down next to this precious woman who, had no idea who I was, was as sweet as she could be. We started to sing hymns and I have never heard anyone sing with such gusto at the age this woman was. She probably didn't even know the last word she sang. In fact, I saw that she forgot that we were singing and it took a few seconds before she realized she was supposed to sing too. I couldn't help but think about my future and what I wanted. If my memory is taken from me, I hope that I still hold on to the hope that I know I have in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment